Sunday, September 7, 2014

New Dimension Media Educational Films on Amazon


Updated on 3/24/2020.

Homeschoolers have discovered a line of educational films is being offered on Amazon Prime for FREE right now. They are from a publisher called New Dimension Media (NDM). This quote about NDM is from their website:


Providing Premier Media Content to K-12 Schools for Over 30 Years

Founded in 1978, New Dimension Media, a division of Questar, Inc., is the premier producer and distributor of original core curriculum media content created for K-12 classrooms. NDM programs have won over 100 of the industry's most prestigious honors, including the CINE Golden Eagle and the Golden Apple. NDM content is used in over 100,000 schools around the country. 

The problem is Amazon makes it hard to find NDM films that are relevant to our homeschool curricula, plus it doesn't offer information like subject or grade level. And the NDM website seems to just list DVDs schools can buy. So, I have started compiling a database of the NDM Amazon films for your convenience! The database contains:

Film Title - The title of the film. Some titles though don't convey what the film is about, so in those cases I have inserted more information in parentheses.

Subject - I made up these subject categories. There is History and American History. These subjects include biographies. Geography includes countries and their cultures. Modern Studies includes politics, careers, economics (unless they seemed more mathish) and issues teens face (like drunk driving, cutting, etc.).

Suggested Grade Level Range - This information comes from the NDM website. If a film does not have a range listed, I did not find it at their website. I used zero for kindergarten so the columns would sort correctly.

Link - This is a direct link to the film on Amazon. You have to click the first cell that contains the link (in column D).

I am still working on this database, but I wanted to share what I have already. It is in the form of a Google Spreadsheet and can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PG2KL9CqqyiKBtx53d-eSX47ZkP284WCIBcYyJtPgkA/edit?usp=sharing

I can't vouch for the content of the videos. So, I suggest we leave reviews for other educators when we watch the films since many of them have too few or no reviews.

I hope my database is a blessing to your family! Please let me know if you find any errors.

Update 11/18/2014: This database is now finished. Enjoy! 

Update 12/5/2015: It has come to me attention that some of these are no longer part of Prime free instant streaming. I know Netflix rotates what it has on instant, so maybe the ones not on Prime right now will be again in a few months. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

38 comments:

  1. Thanks for this!!! I appreciate your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great resource. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jolene! I've been enjoying it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for this. I've been going nuts looking for new educational videos. It doesn't help if you don't know any titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! That's how I felt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is wonderful!! I didn't realize there were so many educational videos on Amazon. Makes my Prime membership worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a blessing to us. Thank you so much for the time and energy you put into this amazingly huge project. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this. The list looks awesome. We recently joined Prime so I look forward to using these films. Thank you for the hard work and for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I'm so pleased you like it. :)

      Delete
  9. I just came across this while looking for videos for American History. This is AWESOME! Thanks for your spreadsheet, it is so so so helpful. I just recently joined Prime and I like to piece together my own unit studies, so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for compiling the spreadsheet. Looks like a lot of work and is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took me about 3 weeks to compile, but it was worth it! Thanks so much for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you sooooooooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for all the work you put into creating this list. I was just wondering if Amazon would have any educational videos and then happened upon this post. Looks like I'll be checking quite a few of these videos out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome and a huge help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting this and all the long hours this must have taken to complete this. I have passed it along to my Facebook homeschooler group too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't seem to pull up any of the videos. I have Amazon Prime. I can find them In search, but can't seem to get any of the videos to load. I am wondering if it is just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you clicking in the column that starts the link to the film (column D)?

      Delete
  18. Your list is awesome- I found it before searching for an index of these videos when I started homeschooling this year. I have passed it on to others.

    In an effort to contribute...
    I think I found a couple to add: (US History Category) The Civil War (overview) -- http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-New-Dimension-Media/dp/B005SAYN00/ref=sr_1_27?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1441983356&sr=1-27&refinements=p_35%3ANew+Dimension+Media%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

    (Geography) USA: Jeremiah and His Bison http://www.amazon.com/Usa-Jeremiah-New-Dimension-Media/dp/B005R6UJZI/ref=sr_1_497?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1441990447&sr=1-497&refinements=p_35%3ANew+Dimension+Media%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

    (Geography) Austria http://www.amazon.com/Austria-New-Dimension-Media/dp/B005R6GC2C/ref=sr_1_423?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1441989753&sr=1-423&refinements=p_35%3ANew+Dimension+Media%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

    (Geography) Machu Picchu & The Colosseum http://www.amazon.com/Machu-Picchu-Colosseum-Dimension-Media/dp/B005MLVM54/ref=sr_1_414?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1441988818&sr=1-414&refinements=p_35%3ANew+Dimension+Media%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

    (History) -- Not sure if this is the talking maps one you have? World War I (comparison of today's map to 1914) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IU9Q6Q/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005IU9Q6Q&linkCode=as2&tag=charsnot-20

    (Language Arts) Harry Potter Real Worlds and Heroic Myths http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Worlds-Heroic-Myths/dp/B005INHQK6/ref=sr_1_5?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1441983356&sr=1-5&refinements=p_35%3ANew+Dimension+Media%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

    These are New Dimension Media ones from your list, but they are no longer "Prime" so not sure if you want to designate them as you must pay to rent/purchase or not. I'm not sure how often that changes.
    Science - Adaptive Function of Form: The Beauty of Ugly
    Science - Mice & Other Rodents
    Science - Bony & Other Cartilginous Fish
    Science - Baby Lynx & the Baby Eagle, The
    Science - Baby Gazelle & the Baby Topi Antelope, The
    Modern Studies - Participating In Citizenship
    Modern Studies - Real World Economics 6: Getting the Right Mix, Real World Economics 7: Macro Models, Real World Economics 8: Elasticity Of Demand
    Modern Studies: We Vote
    Math: Star Maths 15: Times Tables for 2, 5, & 10
    Geography: Tanzania: Doipo And His Herd
    Geography: Reunion Island: Elodie And Her Calf
    Geography: Morocco: Saana In Morocco
    Geography: Ivory Coast: Lasso and His Balafon
    Geography: Greece: Asmina in Greece
    Geography: Georgia (Formerly of USSR): Nougzar in Georgia
    Geography: England: Amie And Her All-Girl Band
    Geography: Egypt: Mohammed And His Dof
    Geography: Cuba: Niurvys In Cuba
    Geography: Canada: Marc Andre And His Accordion
    Geography: Burundi: Nsengiyuma in Burundi
    American History: Pluralistic Prayer
    American History: Immigrant & Slave Prayer
    American History: America's Latino Soldiers
    American History: America's Black Soliders (New Edited Version)
    American History: America's Quest for Freedom 4: Freedom & Loss: Wilderness & Industry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for providing useful educational information.For more..
    Educational movies

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you!!! This is fantastic! I will share all over the place ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Much appreciated! I shared this with the Homeschooling with Netflix Facebook group.

    ReplyDelete
  22. FYI, the Home School Buyers Co-op now offers New Dimension Media videos through their CCC Streaming Media packages. For more information, go to their website and search for CCC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/google-search-results/?x=34&y=10&q=ccc

      Delete